11 July 2014

Sunburn is no fun for horses

My mate Teddy is a piebald horse, which means his coat is made up of black and white patches, and he has a pink nose.  We actually have several horses here at Calvert Trust Exmoor stables that have pink skin.  This makes them more likely to get sunburn, just like people who have fair skin.  

Teddy's pink nose!

All the horses with pink noses get sun cream put on before they go out in hot weather, Teddy says it feels nice but is a bit tickly! The staff also put sun cream on themselves when they are outside; most of them have tanned arms and faces.  

You might remember I told you a while ago I had my shoes taken off to give my feet a bit of breathing time.  I'm ready to have my plastic trainers put back on as my little feet are getting a bit worn down when I walk on the stones.  I have heard the staff saying that that the farrier is coming to the stables again soon, so I hope he has my little plastic shoes with him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!: